Thursday, August 15, 2013

Review - The Deepest Night (The Sweetest Dark #2) by Shana Abe

*My Thoughts*

The Deepest Night has been sitting on my Kindle for awhile now in an effort to get caught up on my reading. Now that I think about it, I should have probably read this book immediately after finishing The Sweetest Dark so that things were fresh in my mind. This particular book is told from 3 different character POV's. There is our heroine Eleanore (Lora) Jones, Lord Armand Louis, and in a sort of narrative way, Jessie Holms.

It is 1915, and the Great War is in full swing with Germany continuing to wreck havoc on England. Lora is still attending the Iverson School for Girls without much headway in making many friends and the headmistress isn't the most charitable person that has come along. Lora has become more comfortable in her awareness that she is one of only a few remaining Drakon's in existence and that her powers are still fully unexplored. She is also suffering from Jessie's loss and the fact that she was wounded in The Sweetest Dark.

Lora is a character that you can't help but to cheer for because of her orphan background, and subsequent ill treatment by adults who apparently could not care less about the welfare of a child. Lora's own parent's are still a mystery, and I am hoping beyond all hope that Abe allows this story to be brought the the forefront and tied up. Lora isn't a coward or one to run away crying when she is continually picked on and bullied. She stands up for herself with her own brand of snark. She's also a golden freaking dragon! I adore stories where there is dragons involved especially when it is inter-spliced with actual historical events.

For me, this book hit its stride when Lora and Armand take a journey to rescue his brother Aubrey who was thought to be dead but apparently is still alive. I wasn't impressed with Armand's apparent intrusion into Lora's life in the first book, and he didn't exactly endear himself to me until probably the end when it was apparent that someone was guiding Lora and Armand into being together. It is obvious that they have formed a connection, but that doesn't mean that I don't miss Jessie. I do. I absolutely do. Armand's own Drakon abilities come full circle in this book and it was nice to see that Lora was there to help him out and save him.

I will say this; Abe knows how to create a wonderfully authentic story that is steeped in not only history, but romance, danger, and adventure. I think readers will either love the romance or wish that Jessie had survived like me. There is an obvious underlying story that is just waiting to be told, and that Lora's missing years prior to 1909 where she can't remember anything. Here's hoping the next book is as exciting and adventurous as the past 2 have been. 


Author - Shana Abe
Title - The Deepest Night (The Sweetest Dark # 2)
Released by Bantam August 13, 2013
Genre - Historical Paranormal
Recvd via Edelweiss for Bantam

1 comment:

  1. I really disliked the first book, but I have been poking around the sequel. With Jessie out of the picture, I am a little more willing to read this one. I do like Lora a great deal.

    ReplyDelete