Monday, April 30, 2012

Book Review: Eventide by Elle Jasper

Riley Poe is having all sorts of problems this time out. She's been kidnapped by Victorian who wants to run away with her to Romania and make Riley his forever. She's been losing track of time, she's having hallucinations, she see's herself actually killing and drinking blood from humans, and her superhuman powers may be causing more problems than they're worth.

Her brother Seth, and best Friend Nyx, are scary worried about Riley but can't do anything to prevent the inevitable from happening; a dual venomed quickening into a vampire. Eli, and Victorian are still competing for Riley's affection and won't back down an inch to let her breathe. Riley still believes that Eli is her soul mate, but there is something about Victorian that raises her blood pressure (in a good way).

Of course, we can't forget the most dangerous vampire of them all Valerian.Valerian has created a newling army and Riley is dead set in his sights. Riley. Least we forget the most powerful Arcos around Julian, the head of the Arcos, who wants Riley to be his queen thanks to her new found powers and the fact that she now has 4 different venom's flowing through her body.

This book ends up being a transitional novel and the likely an end to Riley Poe as a tattoo artist. Where her relationship goes with Nyx is still up in the air. I think Nyx is scared of Riley at this point, even though she doesn't show it. For three books all we've heard about is how awesome of a tattoo artist Riley is. Now, she is forced to walk away from her life's work because of the events of the previous three books.

The whole thing with Riley transitioning into something more than human, but not vampire, sounds like a human-vampire hybrid to me. The ending with Valerian was rushed, and took absolutely no time whatsoever to finalize. Seriously what was the point? What was the point of Riley finding out the truth behind her own mothers death just so she could look on as Valerian is allowed to leave?

Most interesting line of the book:

"My blades press tightly against my skin at his weight. Everything he does, I realize, proves his love for me. Proves his possessiveness for me. And I can’t even return the verbal sentiment? Worse yet, his overprotectiveness is starting to really grate on my nerves. God, I’m such a bitch. A messed up one at that. Damaged goods to the nth degree." Riley Poe pg 63

The new cast of characters Jake Andorra, Darius, Gabriel, Sydney Maspeth, and Ginger Slater are all part of the WUP. You now have a group of vampires, werewolves, immortals and Riley working together for the WUP - Worldwide Unexplained Phenomena in order to stop Black Fallen Angels and a werewolf war from happening. You even have the will you marry me aspect that should have come at the END of the series, and not after this book. But, what do I know about HEA's?

So, once again, Eventide ends up being a bridge from the first three stories of this series, to the new Riley Poe series where she, Eli and Seth will be working for the WUP while Riley learns all about her new abilities including the ability to see a persons past, and mind manipulation.

At this point, I am not sure it would be worth my time to read the next book in the series. However, December is a long way away and things do change over the course of 8 months.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this series yet but as some say the first one is nice I keep hearind mixed things about the others, so I wonder what I will do... thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete