Monday, March 24, 2014

*Gizmos Reviews* Top Ten Things On My Bookish Bucket List


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week there is a new topic and we all share our thoughts on that topic! I decided it was finally time to jump on board with this wicked fun meme!

For this week on Top Ten Tuesday, the topic is:

Top Ten Things On My Bookish Bucket List: (could be blogging related, book related etc. -- meeting authors, reading x many books per year, finishing a daunting book, etc.)

1. Attend BEA in NEW YORK! Hello! My family is from New York. I AM from New York. Since, I began blogging nearly 3 years ago, I have NEVER BEEN TO BEA, or RT, or ALA, or AAD for that matter! I'm sick of sitting on the sidelines and watching others have fun, while I sit home brooding like a child whose toy has been taken away from her. Some of it is because I have a bit of agoraphobia and hate dealing with people and nonsense.

2. Cut down on reading. Yes, I said cut down on reading. I average almost 380 books a year. That needs to be cut back. I feel as though I am reading because I HAVE to, rather than because I love it!

3. Pull my WIP's out of moth balls and have someone read them, edit them, and perhaps approach agents about representing them. I think they have sat there for far too long now, and after all the research, and money, and effort I put into them, they need to see the light of day.

4. Gain more of a following by being more active in commenting back and participation in giveaways, blog hops, etc. Yes, that is a big fault of mine. I've become numb recently when it comes to giveaways, and blog hops. That needs to cease now!
 
5. Be more of a honest reviewer. Simple right? Sometimes I really withhold my comments from a book I just read because I don't want to offend an author or publisher to the point where I loose my access to those publishers.

6. DNF books that I find boring or filled with nonsense like rape, and abuse. Listen folks, I have NOT DNF'd a book in over 3 years. Like I said before, I have so many books now, that I feel as though I am required to continue reading instead of taking a day or two off. 
 
7. Create my own blogging meme or feature. I think this has been bantered around before, but I really want to find a unique feature that nobody has seen before. I think this would be awesome!

8. Read more books from authors who I've sort of abandoned in order to read newer authors. I used to have a huge list of authors I follow. I still do, but, I find that as long as Netgalley and Edelweiss offer new titles, I am grab happy!

9. Get more organized with my current stacks of books. Folks, I need help. I need to do a giveaway, or I need to donate whole shelf full of books to the library or someone else. If I am not going to read the books, why am I keeping them?

10. Try other genre's besides my old reliables UF, PNR, Steampunk, etc. I really have tried to do better than this one. If you look at my reads for this year, you've seen me read LOTS of YA, Dystopian, even Historical Romance. I still wont' read BDSM, or LBGT because they just don't really peak my interest all that much.



7 comments:

  1. You have a really great list here. I, too, sometimes withhold my opinions on books because I'm afraid of offending anyone. But I've also realized that honesty in a review is important--just as long as my comments are cruel or rude, or I'm not attacking the author on a personal level. Good luck with your WIPs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got some great things on your list this week. I try to be really active with commenting, but I've had to make a conscious effort to comment on reviews as well as memes. I love it when I get comments, so I really try to remember to return the favour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You have family in NY! Girl you should be doing BEA then! I'd love to do BEA, NYC though seems intimidating at times for me. I've done RT, but something about NYC scares me a bit. But I do hope to go one day!

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOOOW that is a LOT of books! Good luck with cutting back! Maybe try some bigger novels?

    I also want to create my own meme! ^^

    Great list and good luck with everything!

    AmandaEmma @ Little Miss Reader
    My TTT : http://little-missreader.blogspot.dk/2014/03/top-ten-tuesday-my-bookish-bucket-list.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelley- This is a great list!! I can agree with just about all of except cut back on reading. LOL I need to read more. haha! Yes get on that WIP that you've hiding in the shoe box. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing list. I hope you feel comfortable enough opening up and reviewing books super honestly. If publishers drop you because of your honesty, they're not great people to work with. They should appreciate honesty, at long as you're nice about it, you know?

    I love how this is a Top 10 Tuesday! You may also want to link up to the original Bookish Bucket List, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely list! I like the "create a feature". We have Forgotten Friday on our blog, and I hope that more bloggers will join us and read the featured books. Having a huge discussion about a book would be a dream come true!

    ReplyDelete