Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Review - Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover (Gallagher Girls #3) by Ally Carter

As I slowly make my way through the Gallagher Girls series one book at a time thanks to my library, I have come to the realization and conclusion that things aren't as clear or precise as they seem to be. 

What started out as fun, humorous novel with interesting characters who may be brilliant as students, but have no clue what they are doing when it comes to romance, has now taken a different direction altogether with the stunning awareness that not everything is as it seems. I didn't say that this was a bad thing. 

Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover takes 16 year old Cammie "The Chameleon" Morgan on a whole new journey of discovery, fear, and adventure which starts when Cammie joins her best friend and roommate Macey McHenry on the campaign trail in Boston for Macey's father, and ends with an kidnapping attempt apparently targeting Macey herself.


There are so many secrets and things not said that I am not sure who I can trust. That includes Rachel Morgan (mother), Joe Solomon (teacher), and Zach (spy) who appears every where but won't give Cammie the honest truth as to what is happening, or why he seems to magically appear out of thin air except to say "BE CAREFUL!". I will say this about Zach, I think he truly wants to spill the beans, as it were, instead of just leaving subtle hints behind for Cammie to figure out.

One of the things that I consistently enjoy about this series is the interaction between Cammie, Macey, Bex, and Liz and the various pop quizzes that come at you from nowhere. It's nice to know that not everything is perfect in the Gallagher Girls world and that friendship can be fleeting at any moment but the girls would stand together in the face of difficult challenges and not fall completely apart at the seams.

I did enjoy the arrival of Abby Cameron, former Gallagher Girl, Cammie's long lost Aunt, and someone who is given the job of protecting Macey from further kidnapping attempts as a member of the Secret Service detail. Abby has an interesting story attached to her background that I hope we get a further look into as this series goes on. I do wish that Abby had taken a moment or two to chat with Cammie about where she was when her father supposedly died and maybe they could have figured out who the terrorists were, and who they were really after instead of pushing her away.

I gave this a higher rating than Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy because the danger this time out was real right out of the gate and not a made up test in order to pass a final exam. The ending obviously leads into a whole new story loop which I am looking forward to.

Next up: Only the Good Spy Young

Author - Ally Carter
Title - Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover
Published by Disney Hyperion
Released - June 9, 2009
Genre - Young Adult
Borrowed from Library

No comments:

Post a Comment