Monday, January 13, 2014

*Review* Dance of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death #2) by Bethany Griffin


*My Thoughts*

Dance of the Red Death is the sequel to Masque of the Red Death based on Edgar Allan Poe's short story Masque of the Red Death. Araby Worth's troubles are anything but over. With Will betraying her to Malcontent in order to save his brother and sister (Henry & Elise), her best friend April is infected with the Wheeping Sickness and there is no cure, her father has been labeled as a murderer for creating the Red Death, and her mother is being held captive by Prince Prospero. It is a wonder that Araby is able to hold her head high without breaking down and becoming a puddle of goo.

However much I despise and loathe THREE-WAY love triangles, I am happy to report that Araby's final choice between Will and Elliott was the right one. I believe that there is hope and forgiveness if a persons mistakes were in doing the right thing for the people that they love and not for personal gain and pleasure. It takes an awful lot of heart and strength to forgive someone for breaking your heart. 

I liked the fact that this series is a duology and not a series, or even a trilogy. I liked the fact that most, if not all of my questions were wrapped up in a way that doesn't leave me shaking my head, or wanting more, or an abrupt ending like another story I just finished. I liked Griffin's world building and the fact that this is a dreadful, dangerous, and gloomy place to live in.

I liked that Araby is such a strong willed and decent character that you can lay any foundation around her and support her choices and the final outcome of the story will be just as entertaining. I think that readers will agree with me in that Araby shows remarkable ability to grow up personally and put her issues, and challenges behind her to get to the final goal of finding her father, defeating Malcontent, and rescuing her mother from Prospero.

RELEASED: June 11th 2013 by Greenwillow Books

Author - Bethany Griffin
Title - Dance of the Red Death
Published by Greenwillow Books
Released: June 11, 2013
Genre: YA, Dystopian
Borrowed via Library


No comments:

Post a Comment