Sunday, July 15, 2012

Early Review - Moonglow by Kristen Callihan (Darkest London # 2)

Daisy Margaret Ellis-Craigmore is finally free of her contentious and often times unbearable marriage to a man who treated her like pond scum for 6 long years. Daisy’s forced mandated one year mourning period by Queen Victoria is over, and she can finally unwind and let go without worrying about the consequences.

Daisy’s life changes when she witnesses a werewolf killing her friend and survives. She soon meets the enigmatic and determined Ian Ranulf who will change her life once again and make her open her eyes to the possibility of true romance and even love. Daisy also has to deal with the fact that someone is killing women who wear her brand of perfume and later learns that she has a unique ability not unlike her own sisters Miranda and Poppy.

Ian Ranulf is known as the Marquis of Northrup. He was last seen in Firelight chasing after and getting in the way of Archer and Miranda’s happiness. Losing out on Miranda, he finds himself chasing skirts and failing miserably. Ian has kept his true self (werewolf) hidden away and locked up for 70 years. He refuses to allow the wolf to run free and because of that, he’s become blasé and carefree towards the women he chases. He also chose exile from his father’s pack, rather than leading it.

When Ian comes to the rescue of Daisy, little does he know that he is stepping into something that will lead him into to challenging his younger brother Conall for the leadership position of Clan Ranulf and his heart will finally find love in a very determined and outspoken young lady.

Firelight was a pleasant surprise for me, so, I was anxious to see if the sophomoric release of Moonglow would be up to the challenge and have as much intensity and passion as Firelight did. I would say that the intensity and sexual exploration between Ian and Daisy was just as hot, if not hotter than Firelight. Often times these relationships are based on the fact that neither character is perfect. Instead, they are struggling with their own identities and an escape from an awful past at the hands of someone else.

Moonglow is once again set in Victorian England (1883) and thus the world building is first rate. It’s nice to see that Archer, Miranda, Poppy and Inspector Winston Lane once again play important roles in this story. It once again blends historical romance and paranormal aspects together to keep the reader entertained and wanting more.

The third book, Winterblaze, will feature Poppy and after the stunning events that concluded Moonglow, I am even more determined to read the next book.

*ARC Provided by Grand Central Publishing // Expected publication: July 31, 2012 by Forever




3 comments:

  1. You are a tough chick to please Ms. Romano, anyway I am looking forward to reading this myself. I'm working myself out of my craving for everything dark so I can enjoy the romanticism of Callihan's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably end up bumping this up to 4 stars. I've already flip flopped on this several times now!

      Delete
  2. I really liked this book even if I prefered the first one as well. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I confess I'm also very curious to read the third one. great review!

    ReplyDelete