Monday, January 6, 2014

*Release Day Review* Broken Blade (Colbana Files #3) by J.C. Daniels

*My Thoughts*

BROKEN BLADE is one of the best books I've read in 2013. The story takes place 4 months after the end of NIGHT BLADE where we find Kit living in Wolf Haven. Kit, severely depressed, angry, withdrawn from facing anyone except T.J., and Goliath, faces some challenges to her psyche which won't allow her to move forward and put the past behind her. I love the title of this book. It is definitely appropriate after what happened in Night Blade.

As a person who has experienced my own brand of hell, and continues to suffer through painful nightmares, depression, and anger issues (PTSD) even today, I could totally relate to what Kit was going through and that made me understand her struggles and hesitation even more. It made me that much more interested to see where Kit's path would take her while dealing with the aftermath of NIGHT BLADE since every single day is still a struggle to get up, and wanting to live, and trying not to leave everyone who loves you behind so that you can crawl back into that darkness that refuses to let you go. 

I think BROKEN BLADE is the perfect story for Kit. She's gone from a badass warrior attached to her blade, to questioning everything she's ever fought for, to wondering if she'll ever use the blade again, to slowly realizing that life needs to go on in order for her to survive. I will say that I would NOT recommend that you just jump in to BROKEN BLADE without reading BLADE SONG and NIGHT BLADE. The continuation of the storyline is something that Daniels does well. Even though there is a summation of the events that happened previously, you really need to read Kit's experiences so that you get a better understanding of her struggles to move forward and resume her job as an investigator and yes, a killer.

I will say that my favorite secondary character in Broken Blade is Doyle. Doyle is a fascinating character that you will love reading about. His past is cloudy and murky and there are still plenty of questions as to his parentage since the first time we met him in BLADE SONG. I love the fact that Doyle is protective of Kit. I loved that his tracking abilities are above reproach and that HE was responsible for finding Kit in NIGHT BLADE. I can't wait to see where Daniels takes Doyle's story from here.

As to the romance front of Broken Blade, I will say this to those who read the first two stories; Lower your expectations. You can NOT expect KIT to just jump back into the saddle when she is fighting her own sanity and wherewithal and facing yet more difficult challenges when she faces an OLD LEGEND. You can not expect KIT to suddenly open up her doors to anyone when there is so much background noise that needs to be filtered out first. I will also say that I think Kit and Justin are an interesting couple that needs to be explored further. I'm especially fascinated by Justin's Metallurgy abilities. I also haven't totally forgiven Damon for his actions in NIGHT BLADE. He needs to allow KIT time to find herself. 

There are so many different directions that Daniels can take this series from here that I am excited at the possibilities. There are definitely challenges facing Kit in the form of her evil grandmother, the fact that Doyle has a surprise or two to face which may affect Kit, and there is a looming challenge that I will not spoil under the threat of death. The future definitely looks bright for the Colbana Files!

*Recvd via NetGalley 11/03/2013* Expected publication: January 6th 2014 by Shiloh Walker, Inc.


Author - J.C. Daniels
Title - Broken Blade (Colbana Files # 3)
Released by Shiloh Walker, Inc.
Pub Date: January 6, 2014
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Received via NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment