Wednesday, February 8, 2017

#Wednesday Review - Immune by Shannon Meyer (Urban Fantasy)

Series: Rylee Adamson # 2
Format: Kindle, 242 pages
Release Date: March 4, 2013
Publisher: HiJinks Ink Publishing
Source: Amazon 
Genre: Urban Fantasy

“My name is Rylee, and I am a Tracker.”

When children go missing, and the Humans have no leads, I’m the one they call. I am their last hope in bringing home the lost ones. I salvage what they cannot.
Underestimating demons is a bad idea, and it’s a mistake that may cost me not only my own life, but the life of a missing child.
If I can swallow my pride, and allow Agent O’Shea to help me find a way to deal with the demon, we might be able to save the child.
With this salvage, it’s a race against time, a test of trust, and a temptation that I'm doing my damnedest to ignore.
If only swallowing my pride was that easy.




Immune is the second installment in author Shannon Meyer's Rylee Adamson series. Rylee's story picks up shortly after PricelessRylee is a tracker, aka a psychic bloodhound who tracks down missing children, and has been mostly successful. The one case that still haunts her is that of her own sister who disappeared 10 years ago. Berget's case hangs over everything that Rylee does. Thanks to Berget's disappearance, FBI Agent Liam O'Shea hounded her for 10 years. Thankfully, that issue has been dealt with. 

Rylee has surrounded herself with some interesting characters. There is Giselle, her mentor since she was 16 who is slowly losing her mind. Milly is a witch who is supposed to be her best friend, but I have since thought that with friends like Milly, who needs enemies? Let's not forget about Alex, Rylee's werewolf companion who can't shift back into human form. He's a strange, strange character, but fun as well. Rylee has also picked up a Harpy named Eve since she can never return home after the events of Priceless

We've learned that Rylee is apparently immune to psychics, most spells, and to all poisons. She also can't be turned by a simple scratch from Alex, or by being bitten by a daywalking vampire. Rylee is still weighing her options about working with the Arcane Division, something her former nemesis Liam O'Shea has accepted. They really need Rylee's expertise in the paranormal area. They are so behind it's not even close to being ready to fight against the bad that lives in plain sight. Liam also needs a partner since he got a rude awakening to the world that Rylee has been living in while he accused her of Berget's disappearance.

In this installment, Rylee receives a call from her friend Dox, the Ogre in New Mexico saying that Louisa, has returned and she is pissed off and blaming Rylee for her disappearance. Since Dox is a trusted ally, Rylee makes plans to travel to New Mexico to sort things out and help him. To top things off, Rylee takes another salvage. This time from an exotic danger who's son went missing. She is also facing her own personal challenges. She's been marked by a demon, and unless she finds a way to rid herself of the curse, she will likely freeze to death. Funny since she's apparently immune to toxins.

Here is why I didn't rate this as high as Priceless. First, Rylee's relationship with Milly is not high on my list of things I like. It is apparent that Milly has her own issues that cause lots of misunderstandings. Milly & Rylee's relationship is toxic, and toxic things must end rather than spread. Rylee also is a bit on the jealous side which puts her relationship with Liam in deep trouble. Then there is the whole ending which I screamed so loud my cat ducked under my bed. 

This book spends a whole lot more time in New Mexico, rather than North Dakota. There's also the fact that several new characters are introduced, including a daywalking vampire with an obsession with Rylee's blood. Since I haven't read the rest of this series, I am not sure what importance they might be to Rylee in the future. I do know that Giselle gives Liam a dire warning about Rylee that I truly want to continue this series to find out what happens. Rylee has so many issues to deal with, it's a wonder she can actually deal with her main issue of finding and bring home a lost boy to his mother. Then again, Rylee is a big girl. She can handle herself and anything that comes her way. Right?





1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard of this series before! It sounds interesting :) I'm glad you liked this book, and thank you for sharing your thoughts :D

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete