Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Siren Trials (The Enchanting Fae) by Katerina Martinez #Fantasy

Series: The Enchanting Fae # 2
Format: Kindle, 216 pages
Release Date: July 11th 2022
Publisher: Supernal Publishing
Source: Kindle Unlimited
Genre: Fantasy

In Arcadia, summer's light can reach the deepest, coldest depths.

When a lethally beautiful Fae brings me to his city and shows me the truth about who I am, it feels like a dream. I'm a mermaid, a real, flesh-and blood-mermaid. Not only that, I'm something of a celebrity, too.

The Summer Fae live in an underwater city called Caeris, and its people have been waiting for me, the Lost Siren, to return. Why? Because they need me in order for a sacred ritual called the Siren Trials to take place. I don't know much about it, but I'm being treated like royalty - like a champion.

The only problem is, the pirate that kidnapped me is being put to death, and for some reason, I can't help but feel like that's my fault. I don't want him to die, but I also don't know how I can help him. Worse, I can't help but feel like I haven't shaken Captain Mordred off, and that I'm not quite safe with the Summer Fae.

Something is wrong, here, and I need to figure it out. Otherwise this dream is going to become a nightmare.


Siren Trials is the second installment in author Katerina Martinez's The Enchanting Fae series. Siren Trials starts off right where Lost Siren ended. After being taken from the cruise ship where she worked, and chased by pirate Captain Mordred who nearly killed her to force her into cooperating with him, she was later rescued by Captain Damon Blackstone who promised that he would find a way to get her back to her home. 

Unfortunately, Summer Fae Prince Aenon and Princess Aerin interfered and brought Kara to Caeris, the sunken city of the Summer Fae. Everything around Kara is new and confusing and her only friend is Bubbles the pixie. She’s not given any chance to get acclimated to the Summer Court before she must face the Siren Trials. Kara, who is the alleged Lost Siren and Fate's Chosen, but raised human, is given a caretaker (DeLora) who is supposed to guide her throughout the trials. 

Sirens in this world are warriors, spellcasters, and agents of the Summer Kingdom. They also lead the Kingdom's armies  Kara is also given the choice of her own champions as well. She has to choose between Captain Blackstone and Prince Aerion. What's worse is that the King of the Summer Fae, Aevon Aqilus, also wants something from Kara. Something she refuses to hand over. 

She's also facing the possibility of a face off with the Queen-Captain, who we have not met, as well as a return match with Captain Mordred who is a vampire fae who nearly killed Kara in the first installment in order to push her into handing over the legendary Leviathan Trident. The Trident which appears out of nowhere whenever Kara needs help. 

The story also features several different chapters from the perspective of Damon Blackstone who found himself in a cell facing execution. When all is said and done, I can't see anyone but Damon being Kara's love interest. There's a whole lot to talk about, but I won't go any further for fear of posting spoilers. I will say that this story pretty much follows the same blue print from the authors previous Arcadia series. 

You have a 20-something woman who grew up on Earth, spirited away to Arcadia where humans tend not to survive long before turning monstrous. You have a main character who finds out that almost everything that she's been told about her human life, is a lie and she's the Chosen one, and someone has been lying to her for a very long time. 

In this story, the winner of the Siren Trials is supposed to claim the title of Queen, but who would want to be Queen as long as King Aevon is around? There is a fair amount of action in this book which should keep most readers satisfied. There's little romance, but I think that ship is about to come in between Kara and maybe Damon? There will be two more books in this series, and yes, I plan on finishing the series instead of walking away.





No comments:

Post a Comment