Saturday, March 7, 2015

*YA Dystopian Book Review* The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner # 2
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Released: October 12, 2010
Source: Library
Format: Hardcover, 360 pages
Genre: YA, Dystopian

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end.    Thomas was sure that escape from the Maze would mean freedom for him and the Gladers. But WICKED isn’t done yet.   Phase Two has just begun. The Scorch.  There are no rules. There is no help. You either make it or you die. The Gladers have two weeks to cross through the Scorch—the most burned-out section of the world. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.  Friendships will be tested. Loyalties will be broken. All bets are off.  There are others now. Their survival depends on the Gladers’ destruction—and they’re determined to survive.


Having survived The Maze (The Maze Runner), Thomas, Teresa, Minho, Newt, Frypan and the other surviving Gladers now face yet another "Trial" by the group known as Wicked (World in Catastrophe Killzone Experimenting Department). But, before it even starts, Teresa goes missing, a boy named Aris appears in her place claiming that he is a survivor from Group B. A group that just happens to be an all female group who faced their own version of the Maze and came out in greater numbers.

Thomas and the Gladers learn that everything they've experienced, including the fight against Grievers, the murder of Chuck, and their escape, was all part of an elaborate plan to weed out the best Candidates to find a cure for the so called Flare. Now, the Gladers must pass another trial which obviously is called the Scorch Trials which apparently takes place in Mexico. The Gladers face even more dangers from the oppressive heat, the strange weather, betrayal, and new adversaries in their hopes of reaching a safe haven and a so called cure before time runs out.

One of the most interesting parts of this book, is that Thomas is slowly regaining most of his memories, including parts when he was a young boy with Teresa. It is obvious that Thomas and Wicked are linked, but until I get the final book of this trilogy in my hands, I am not willing to hitch my bets to that train of thought just yet. I do know that Wicked seems to have a split personality when it comes to Thomas. One minute they are saving his life, the next they put him on death's doorstep.

"Things are about to get bad for you." Brenda to Thomas

No, really? I think that authors should be required to sign a Geneva Convention declaration against constant and over the top torture of their characters. Poor Tom. I have no words for all the pain, suffering, and betrayal that he's put through, and how this book ends. I do think that Thomas is a bit of a whiner in this book. He needs to grow up and become the so called leader that he obviously is supposed to be. He isn't Minho or Newt or even Jorge a new Crank introduced along with Brenda.

I absolutely H.A.T.E. Teresa right now, and am not all that fond of Aris either. No excuses. None at all for what they do to Thomas. How can anyone expect to be forgiven for all that happens to Thomas? I am hoping that Thomas sees it the same way, and doesn't crawl back into her arms. But, I am probably in the minority on that point. I mean, they kind of do have a history together that obviously goes back years. They obviously have been in on this entire thing from the beginning. Yet, Teresa's entire being is now subject to scrutiny and scorn.

I think I would like to see Thomas and Brenda together, but there is obviously more to her than meets the eye test. I really do feel for the Gladers. They are really nothing more than experiments. They don't have free will, or the ability to step outside the Trials without being killed on the spot. I do hope that The Death Cure doesn't entirely erase the Gladers. I would like to see more mingling between the Gladers and Group B. I do appreciate that Dashner, by way of Brenda, explains more about the world that is, and the world that was, and what apparently happened that created Wicked.

I'm interested in seeing how The Death Cure holds up to The Maze Runner which far above The Scorch Trials in my opinion. I am understandably worried by the number of negative reviews the book has received from those I trust. Naturally, I am not going to let something like a low review prevent me from finishing this trilogy.

Other Books in Trilogy
   



No comments:

Post a Comment